Monday, November 25, 2013

My first children's book

My apologies for neglecting the blog. I have been fighting a battle with bronchitis which won when it turned to pneumonia and then left vertigo to linger. 

Anyway, I have very exciting news - my first children's book Grace Figures Out School is finally available. It is currently available on my publisher's site.  It will be officially released on January 10th, which means it will be available for sale at bookstores and major online retailers like Amazon. 
Please note that I am available for book signings, speaking engagements, writing workshops and more. I do not charge for book signings, or speaking engagements in and around my state (CT). The writing workshops depend on the time and distance needed. I have worked with my publisher to create my book as a coloring book for one dollar less than the price of the book. Also, I have asked them to create lined journals for writing workshops for children and even journals with wide lines (including the skyline and grassline, etc.) to make it easy for children to learn how to create their own stories.
Please contact me through Twitter @LeslieAPMag. 

For more information on the book read below: 

One of the biggest struggles I face as a parent with children on the spectrum is the judgmental comments that are frequently tossed my way.  This children’s book was inspired by my daughter with Asperger's when she was told to "throw out her ice cream cone" and she literally threw her cone across the restaurant. It made a huge splattered mess and she realized I didn't actually mean to "throw" it. She immediately started to cry and said, “But you said, “Throw it, out!?”
It was a lesson we both learned from, but as I hugged my daughter and cleaned up the mess we had to listen to people's comments about how I should hit her to teach her a lesson and how I was such a horrible parent. After cleaning up I suggested that the onlookers Google the word Asperger's and explained that figurative language doesn’t come easily to everyone. I have used the opportunity to write books for ALL people to teach a life lesson, a literary lesson and autism acceptance. This first book of a series is about the life lesson of attending a new school, while everyone in the class learns about autism, and figurative language. This book truly blends my two passions: English and special needs. I truly believe that we all have uniqueness that should be shared and understood. I believe that with knowledge comes understanding and with understanding come acceptance. It is my hope that every library in the world will own a copy and show that all children should be treated with kindness.  I encourage you all to "be curious, not judgmental."

No comments:

Post a Comment