Friday, September 5, 2014

Taking Away Recess: punishing vs rewarding



Every year I dread the start of a new school year because I never know if the teacher that is assigned to my children will understand or be knowledgeable about autism. It seems like I am forever explaining things. I have been very fortunate in that the teachers and the school psychologist have been very open to hearing my suggestions. Last year I had to explain that although my child my not "look" like she needs a sensory break - she still very well might need one. (A sensory break is when a child with autism or sensory processing differences needs to take a break because their body is not feeling calm and therefore can't focus on the lesson. In some cases doing some tricks like pressing their palms together, squeezing a massage ball, or chewing on a chewy bracelet might be enough and in other instances they might need to go to the OT room to crash into a Yogibo beanbag seeking proprioceptive input or swing for vestibular input to give just a few example.)
This year, I sent an email explaining that my child has anxiety, delayed processing, often forgets to drink and eat because her focus is so intense so to kindly remind her to eat and drink and if she complains of a headache or stomach cramping that she might just need to eat and drink. I also suggested that they give her a schedule of when she will receive her services to help alleviate her anxiety over when they will be. Three days after school had started, my daughter had a panic attack. It took her three days to process her thoughts about the rules in her new teacher's class. According to her, the class was told that if they didn't finish creating their illustration for their story that they would have to spend recess inside finishing their picture until it was fully colored. The "only person that will play with her at recess" so she says, had to stay inside to finish his picture. This left her alone at recess. It also left her having a panic attack from 8-10 pm because the mere thought of missing the only time she has to get her energy expelled was being threatened by her ability to draw and color quickly. As a former educator I understand that this idea of "you need to complete this or I will take this privilege away" mindset comes into play and it often does help children that have difficulty staying on task. However, there are two things that the teacher may not know: 1. my daughter has hypotonia (she has low muscle tone) and 2. rewards work more effectively than punishing an autistic child. 
So I emailed her teacher letting her know that I wanted her to be aware that my daughter is hypotonic and that her lack of muscle can delay her ability to color as fast as her peers and that due to this physical disability I do not want her missing any recess. I would prefer she finish her coloring at home, at her own speed, if she doesn't have adequate time to complete it during the school day. I also explained that punishing, taking things away and time outs are not effective and actually increase tension, anxiety and decrease the confidence and mutual trust needed to learn. Thankfully, the teacher understood and said that she considers the individual needs of each child. 
So for today, my child is safe from not missing the little time she has to play outside freely, but I continue to worry for the child that doesn't say anything to their parents or perhaps can't communicate their frustrations (like my son). Recess is needed! Play is essential! This push to have kids sitting still is not realistic. They aren't twenty year olds expected to sit at a desk to work a 9-5 job - they are kids. 
In Finland they allow their students 75 minutes of recess and their students are scoring better read about it here.  In Norway, students have three recesses a day! One mom writes, "He has three recesses here, rather than just one, as in Minnesota. The school day is about an hour shorter than at home, giving him extra time to play before doing homework. He enjoys nearly two hours of unstructured, outdoor play every day here, four times more than in the United States." read the rest of the article here.
Also, in this article  there is scientific evidence that children that have recess are able to focus better. Hmm - really?! (joking) You mean if you let the kids run off their energy then they might be able to sit still and pay attention and learn more in less time? This is why, recess is not an option in my mind. Recess must not be taken away. Recess is needed so the kid can come back and finish his work without squirming in his seat. I remember being taught in college that children only have a ten minute attention span, if this is true then why are the children in the US expected to sit 9AM-3PM with only an approximate recess time of 20 min? Some of you might say but they have lunch time too, at least they can socialize then. WRONG! I have been learning of schools that don't allow talking at all during lunch. Silent lunches, because lunch is for eating only. The American education needs to get back on track. With all the testing, the stress on teachers I fear has turned to stress on students and no one's ratings or scores are going to increase with little to no social time. The brain needs a break. It's time we let kids be kids so their brains are ready to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment