Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Inclusion Not Assimilation

Every where I read, INCLUSION is mentioned.

What is inclusion?
According to Wikipedia "Inclusion in education is an approach once thought only necessary for educating students with special educational needs. Now it is crucial that all teachers ensure inclusive practice for all students in their classroom and the wider school. Under the inclusion model, students with special needs spend most or all of their time with non-disabled students."

Inclusion is important. It means unlike when I was in school, special education students aren't grouped together in a classroom down the hall that is separate from children that do not receive special education. 
ALL students must be taught together "to the maximum extent possible" (based on LRE Least Restrictive Environment which must be met under IDEA). This means if a child with special needs warrants a special kind of service like speech therapy or occupational therapy that they might be pulled out of class for a limited time but the majority of their day is with their peers.

I fully support inclusion. I think if we put children together that they can learn from each other. There is no more secrecy. 
I do not support assimilation.
To assimilate means to make someone/something resemble something/someone else.

In conversing with many adults with autism, one of their biggest gripes with teachers is how they were forced to be 'normal' and to "hide their differences."
I see this happening even today. 
When I sent my daughter to school with a chewy tube (a therapeutic tool to help relieve proprioceptive input in the jaw), she was teased. I sent her with one that looked like a bracelet and one that looked like a necklace but to no avail. Instead of educating the children, or equating it to chewing on a pen cap or encouraging them to mind their own business, I was told by the school to buy a $15 Camelbak water bottle. This type of water bottle has a soft chewy spout that my child can chew inconspicuously.
At first I thought this was a great idea. Like many other autistic children that I've met, she forgets to drink frequently and gets dehydrated. So really I figured we are killing two birds (drinking and chewing) with one stone (a water bottle). 
However, as time goes on, my child needed sensory breaks and instead of sending her to the OT room so she could get some deep compression or swing they sent an OT to the class to teach the entire class Brain Gym exercises so she wouldn't need to leave the room and so if she did use the exercises no one would make fun of my child. For some children, these Brain Gym movements might be enough. For my child they aren't and even worse, you have just explained to her that she needs to keep her issues hidden. If she isn't 'normal' she needs to pretend to be 'normal.' 

I want to scream - let my child be unique! She is awesome the way she is and if she needs a break - give it to her. However, screaming isn't effective. I really believe in educating everyone because I know the staff at the school really have the best intentions and are just doing what they have been told. 
So it is time to tell the world. I am asking everyone to send me a video (30 seconds to 1 minute) of you and/or your child with a sign that explains something you think people don't understand about autism. It is my goal to turn it into a music video to the Pharrell Williams song "Happy." My family and I are going to start with explaining how flapping is considered a stim. Stimming is your body's way of calming or outwardly showing happiness. So "come along with me now if you feel like 'flappiness' is the truth..." Let's raise positive awareness.
Send your video to Leslie@LeslieBurby.com. If anyone knows of anyone techy that can help make this dream a reality by donating their time please have them email me.

Leslie Burby

No comments:

Post a Comment