Friday, August 30, 2013

If You Give an Aspie an Electronic...

Have you ever read one of Laura Numeroff's children's book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? She has many other similarly related themed children's books such as If You Give a Pig a Pancake, If You Give a Moose a Muffin, If You Give a Cat a Cupcake, etc. She has over 30 published children's books.


Anyway, I couldn't help but think of her book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, because it reads, "If you give a mouse a cookie, he is going to want some milk." The mouse goes on to ask for a mirror to check for a milk mustache, followed by scissors to trim his hair and continues on and on. The story always makes me smile and laugh because the mouse is a perfect example of how children behave and their endless need for us.

The other day, I brought my three kids to see my parents at their home out in the country. My middle child ran to give her grandparents hugs, my youngest ran to hug the dog and my little Aspie went to the den where it is quiet and took out a toy phone. I didn't think much of it until I went to check on her and found the phone and a toy radio dissected. When I asked what she was doing, she asked if I had a screw driver. She just turned six. SIX! Jokingly I said, "Maybe I should get you some goggles too?" She, of course, said with a straight face, "Oh yes, that's a good idea. Get me some of those too."



It took me a second to realize, my sarcasm is lost on her. So I sat down and told her that mommy was kidding. That I didn't have goggles. Without hesitation she told me not to worry because Grandpa does in the shed. She quickly got up and ran outside to the shed to grab a screw driver and goggles. I sat there dumbfounded. She always amazes me. I would have never thought to unscrew a toy phone to disconnect the wires only to see how the thing worked.

I sat there contemplating -
Should I stop her from taking apart the toys?
Is it dangerous?
Why should I stomp on her curiosity?

So I let her tinker.

I wonder what will happen in five or ten years when I give her a microscope?
So the story would then read If you give Mary a microscope, she is going to want some slides?! LOL
Moments like these I treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment